Sunday, September 13, 2009

Heart Crossings (Part 2)


Continued from part 1

As he led the way, he asked again"so do you work in the store?" "Yeah, in weekends... I love playing with the kids who come in and well I get a staff discount in most of the other stores, so its a convenient arrangement" she said, laughing. He noticed that she had a very earthy laugh and said,"actually, I wanted to apologise, I really didn't let you face your fear". Her lips quivered as she nodded her head,"it wasn't you, Ashish, if I wanted to conquer my fear I would have even if you had said something, I guess I wasn't ready and my outburst was just a manifestation of my unwillingness to accept it." He looked at her in wonder, it had been quite sometime since he had met a girl who spoke like that. "So what do you do other than organising blood donation camps?" she asked, sounding inquisitive and conscious that he was looking at her. "I am an engineering student, final year, carefree and wild as you can see,"he said pointing at his hair which was growing wildly all over and they started laughing. It seemed as if things were very natural and by the end of their respective espresso and cappuccino he looked into her eyes and she blushed. "Listen, I know you have a shift tomorrow, but if you're free tomorrow, I really would like you to come to this show we organised for an orphanage, call me incase you want to come and I'll pick you up. " he said as he gave her a smile. "I'll see if I can come", she said mentally going through her closet to pick an outfit.

Two months later Ashish and Krittika were dating and it seemed to each of them that they had come a long way since their first meeting. Ashish realised Kittu, as he called her was an earthy, intelligent,a sweet girl who was strangely vulnerable under that fiesty, brave and rude façade. Krittika thought Ashu was emotional, focused and sensible. But what she loved in him the most was the fact that he would stand up to his principles no matter what. It was a beautiful August afternoon when Krittika got a call ”hey Kittu, umm I need your help, I’m at the police station can you, come here asap? ” Ashish said. Fearing the worst Krittika went, to find him sitting next to a girl”hey Kittu, this is Pavithra, she’s 17 and is a junkie, they arrested her, I just bailed her out, but she’s not in her senses yet, so can you keep her at your place till tomorrow?” he said. Krittika didn’t want to argue in the police station, so the next day, after they had found Pavithra’s parents and sent her home with them, Krittika said”You know Ashish, I think you shouldn’t have bailed her out. I think she should’ve been in jail, she would know.” Ashish looked at her strangely,”she’s young Kittu, she doesn’t know, its her first time, now that she’s got help she won’t do it again. Life always gives you a second chance. If you didn’t give me a second chance we wouldn’t be talking this way.” Krittika didn’t say anything else but she didn’t like what Ashish had done.

It was as if they were perfect for each other, complementing and contrasting each other. Their friends always felt that they were in love and that they made a great couple. It was the final year of college and Krittika wanted to go abroad for her higher tudies. She wanted to go abroad and see the world, enjoy life. Ashish had other plans. He was a true patriot and decided he would join the airforce. Though both of them had known their future plans, they had decided not to talk about it till something materialized. Krittika was about to call Ashish when he had called himself.”Kittu! Know what? I got accepted into the airforce! I’m so happy! Its my dream come true!” Kittu was silent for a minute before she said “Congratulations, Ashish, I got accepted by University of Berkley. I have to join in another two months.” Ashish couldn’t believe what he had just heard. He knew this had to happen, but he wasn’t ready to digest the fact that it had happened so soon. He knew he loved Krittika, but he didn’t know if she had loved him. He loved his country and he was not ready to forfeit his chance to get into the airforce. But Kittu, he wanted her to stay back, with him all his life. Yet, he couldn’t because he didn’t know if that was what she wanted, if asking her would be unfair, not wanting her to pursue her dreams, when he didn’t want to leave his dream for her. So he said”I guess, we have to talk about that Kittu.” She knew what it meant, that it was over. But there was a tiny ray of hope in her, that Ashish would finally realize that she loved him and ask her to stay back with him and tell her that both of them would live their life together forever….(To be continued….)

P.S. This story i dedicated to P.... For continually inspiring me to write and driving me to experiment! Yeay P! You rock!

2 comments: