Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In the dumps!

As I am typing this, there is only one thought going on in my mind: "Am I working enough?" You must think that I'm demented. Hardly. Well, I've started working for this Telecommunications company from last October. Now telecomm is a departure from my field, computers. I've had an offer from an multinational I.T. company, but since this deal was more lucrative and I got to stay back in my home town, I opted for it.
Now it is common knowledge that in IT companies, they make their trainees go through a very rigorous training period. Exams, grades, evaluations, case studies, presentations and the rest. You have severe pressure put on you and are compelled to excel, otherwise you are shown the door. So when my manager said I'd have to learn things ASAP, I thought it was going to be ASAP. Quite the contrary, I've got nothing to do most of the day, the things they ask me to do, it takes me very little time to finish and they seem pretty satisfied with the way I'm taking things.This worries me.
I mean, I'm the only fresher in my team, so it is implied there is no competition and people are very nice to me, helping me out with things and all. But then, the training plan is not regular either, since I don;t have a fixed schedule or a plan. It immensely worries me that I might be called for an appraisal and my manager would not see what my mentor and other team members have seen in me. As in he might find faults in my performance or some pitfalls in the knowledge assimilated. Another challenge I'm facing is that on a particularly busy day, I've nothing to do other than surfing the net.
Its not that I want to continue this job forever, but I don't want to get scolded or reprimanded. Maybe this is all natural in the first two months of work. I might be over reacting and hyper ventilating. I'm one of those people who think too much about a particular thing and in the end, no good comes out of it other than me being upset and depressed. Sigh. I sound like an old hag.
Someone slap me. HARD!

1 comment:

  1. I still didn't get what sort of work atmosphere is that...i mean, everyone is supposed to be busy on a 'busy' day right?? Looks like i need to start observing the BIG-FAT world out there! LOL ;-D

    ReplyDelete